- Updated: As of Monday 27 July 2020, Jury Trials will have resumed in 57 Crown Courts.
- Crown Courts are dealing with a range of work, much of which is being done remotely. This includes sentencing hearings and all urgent applications including applications for bail and applications to extend custody time limits. Pre-trial preparation hearings and further case management hearings are also taking place.
- Magistrates’ courts and the Youth Courts are now dealing with all criminal business types. Urgent cases such as those where the defendant is being held in police or prison custody will continue to take priority. continue to cover urgent work, such as cases where the defendant is being held in police or prison custody. Magistrates' court cases (PDF, 112KB, 1 page).
- The number of summary trials listed is increasing, whilst still ensuring prioritisation is given to cases involving an allegation of domestic abuse and Domestic Violence Protection Orders.
- Cases where defendants are on bail and require listing in either a GAP or NGAP court are also being heard.
- The Judiciary has published a note of listing in magistrates’ courts during coronavirus outbreak.
- Various other work including police traffic prosecutions, continue to be dealt with remotely using the Single Justice Procedure.
- All questions about paying an outstanding criminal court fine should be sent to our National Compliance and Enforcement Service at NCESWE@justice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 9252.
- Payment of fees to the Lands Chamber, Payment of application and hearing fees to the Property Chamber.
- First tier tax tribunal operational update First Tier Tax Tribunal operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 156KB, 1 page).
- Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 38KB, 1 page).
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document on Employment Tribunals during the coronavirus for parties who are representing themselves and professional representatives.
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document for the First-Tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber) during the coronavirus to assist users to better understand the services the Tribunal is currently providing. First-Tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber) covid-19 frequently asked questions (PDF, 165KB, 5 pages)
- Mental Health Tribunal telephone hearing guidance. Mental Health Tribunal telephone guidance (PDF, 85.9KB, 1 page).
- First Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. First Tier IAC operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 88.7KB, 1 page).
- Upper Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. Upper Tier IAC operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 116KB, 1 page).
- The Upper Tribunal Immigration and Asylum Chamber has made changes to the way it currently works. Since Thursday 30 April 2020, all Judicial Review applications can be lodged using email. Upper Tribunal IAC Judicial Review changes (PDF, 173KB, 2 pages).
Royal Courts of Justice
- The Royal Courts of Justice Operational Update: The Royal Courts of Justice operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 78.7KB, 1 page).
- The High Court is covering work according to the High Court Contingency Plan.
- More detailed guidance for the Administrative Court Office. Administrative Court Office guidance (PDF, 290KB, 8 pages) Queen's Bench guidance (PDF, 394KB, 3 pages)
- Updated: More detailed guidance for the Queen’s Bench. Queen's Bench guidance - Interim Applications Court (PDF, 166KB, 1 page) Queen's Bench guidance - Bulletin 1 (PDF, 258KB, 3 pages) Queen's Bench information for court users (PDF, 525KB, 13 pages) HMCTS Document Upload Centre - Professional User's Guide (PDF, 511KB, 3 pages) Queen's Bench guidance - Document Upload Centre (PDF, 62.7KB, 1 page).
- The Court of Appeal Civil Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities. Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 90KB, 1 page).
- The Court of Appeal Criminal Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Emergency Plan. RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Division update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 101KB, 3 pages).
- Updated: The Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office is currently open to the public during the hours of 10:00am and 14:00pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office update (PDF, 393KB, 1 page).
- Updated: The Senior Costs Judge has published a note on hearings and detailed assessments in the Senior Courts Costs Office Senior Courts Costs Office update (PDF, 64.6KB, 3 pages).
Please visit our GOV.UK page for all operational updates